“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” — Saint Augustine
I was recently granted an awesome opportunity to travel to South Korea for five days. After a fair amount of hemming and hawing about whether I could go and should go, I eventually jumped at the chance. And so, thanks to my fabulous husband who convinced me that I most certainly should go, and thanks to my mom for graciously offering to help look after my kids while I am away, and thanks to my dad and brother for letting me tag along with them, not to mention the surprisingly efficient folks at the Department of State for processing my passport renewal so quickly, I am preparing to head off to South Korea in three short weeks.
With this amazing adventure on the horizon, travel has definitely been on my mind lately. Fortunately, the topic of travel fit right in with this week’s Monday Listicles. Anna at The Mommy Padawan offered up two writing prompts this week, one of which was “You have 48 hours free of all responsibilities and unlimited cash, what 10 things would you do, places you’d go, etc.?” In response, here is my wanderlust list of 10 places I would go, assuming no responsibilities, unlimited cash, instantaneous transportation methods, and no need for sleep. Some of the places I have already visited and want to experience again; others are places that I have not visited, but hope to visit one day.
- I would start my adventure at a lobster/clam bake in New England, enjoying the crisp sea air and buttery seafood.
- After I’ve stuffed my belly, I would head to Ireland for an evening in the pubs listening to live music.
- After a few hours of laid-back, casual inebriation, I would snap my fingers and be transported to the waterfront clubs of Barcelona where I would drink sangria and dance until just before sunrise.
- A sunrise breakfast would be enjoyed overlooking the cliffs of Capri.
- After soaking up the sun and incredible views in Capri, I’d scuttle off to the Greek Islands for a lazy lunch and sunny afternoon on beach.
- After rejuvenating in the sun all afternoon, I’d enjoy a lavish night on the town in Dubai.
- I would spend the morning on an African safari.
- I would jet off to Waimea Bay on Oahu’s north shore to watch the 20 foot waves and have lunch at that killer sandwich shop just outside of town in Haleiwa whose name I can never remember.
- I would spend the rest of the afternoon walking the beaches of Rio de Janeiro.
- After all of the exploring and indulging, I would click my heels and be transported home for a quiet evening with my husband and my boys, for despite all my wanderlust, home truly is where my heart is.
“The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.” Maya Angelou